Friday, September 11, 2020

Depression

I just watched a video on Twitter where Scott Bayless criticizes Dak Prescot for admitting he was depressed after Dak's brother committed suicide. I have an issue with that. 

I am 64-years old and have been depressed exactly one time in my life. One time in 64 years so I think I can say that I am not the depressed type. I am not prone to be depressed. I am generally positive and always think that things will work out, will be OK. I am a Christian and have a strong faith in God. I believe He holds my destiny.

When I became depressed, I could not get out of bed most days. Day after day, I lay in bed and thought, I need to get up and do something. But I couldn't. It was like I was paralyzed. I got up only to use the bathroom and get more coffee. This experience taught me one thing: it taught me that I could not talk my way out of depression. I could not convince myself that I should not be this way. I could not count my blessings and be OK. Depression is something that happens, it's real, and when it hits, it is beyond your control.

I hope this never happens to you. I hope you never understand how devastating and debilitating depression can be. But I also hope that you have some sort of pity, sympathy on those who get blindsided by this devastation that they did not choose and probably did not even see coming. Telling them to get over it or reminding them that things will be OK will not fix the problem. 

In fact, I don't know what will fix the problem. For me it was a friend who called and wanted to ride bicycles. I didn't want to but I said yes. That made me get out of bed, get dressed, and air up my bicycle tires. We drove to Money, Mississippi, talked, and took a strenuous ride. We did it again the next day and the next, and then I began to recover, not all at once, but a little at a time. I think it was the companionship, the fresh air, the sunshine, and the physical exertion that releases all sorts of hormones into the human brain.

Now I am not so judgmental to people who suffer this condition. I know sometimes it is the genetic hand they have been dealt. Sometimes it is the blows that life deals to us all that overwhelms them. For me it was loss. One loss after another loss after another. Then I was in the pit and I could not talk myself out of it.

I still don't know what to tell anyone who is suffering from depression. I only know to say this to those who aren't: except for the grace of God, there go you.

An aunt of mine used to say, "You better learn some humility before God has to teach it to you." That pretty well sums up my message. Think about it. Pray about it. Be merciful to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment