Saturday, September 19, 2020

No Train

 I. Did. Not. Train. At. All.

Friday. 

My first Friday off since starting back to work.

Lazy. Busy. Truly needing the rest.

First I had lunch with my old friend, Daniel Collins. He had forgotten. His wife implored me to be patient with him. That was no problem. She helped him dress in the front yard. Danny is showing his age.

We went the Acy's. They have the best short-order cooking in the world. Prove me wrong. I got three eggs over easy, grits, two pieces of sausage, and toast. That's a big breakfast right there. I don't care who you are.

While we were there, we had to wait for the coffee. The cook was making tea in the coffee machine. On the counter there was a large Tupperware pitcher. It was filled about forty percent with a white substance. Sugar? I kept my eyes on it. Sure enough, when the tea was made, she poured it into the pitcher. So the tea was literally fifty percent sugar by volume. That, my friend, is sweat tea in the South.

We had a nice meal and a better visit. On the way back to town, we talked about going to Grenada the next time. Penny and I ate at Pap's last Friday night. They do fish and steaks. I found them on Facebook. They also have a breakfast buffet. 

After getting home, I left for Clarksdale. I was on a quest to Bears Gym to look at a spin bike. The one I have, gifted me by Gerald Johnson, has not fared well in the weather. Plate City on Monroe was all outdoors. It grinds, then vibrates, and one gets the idea that it is going to explode. I did use it so when I found one of those commercial spin bikes on Facebook Market Place for sale, I, like a fish in a lake, I decided to bite. I bought the bike. The trip there and back took the whole morning. When I got home to the Hideout, Simon, who is now working next door, saw me unloading and came to my aid. That Simon is a good man. So Plate City just received another upgrade. That makes two this week.

I called John about swimming. He had phoned the night before. He wanted in the pool. He has been out for the past three weeks with his wife in the hospital. He had something going on and couldn't make it. I left the Hideout and went first to the Chamber of Commerce to pick up my and Forrest's packets. While there, someone, a twenty-something woman, overheard me utter my last name.

She whirled and with wide eyes inquired, "Are you Forrest's dad?"

That is what I encounter daily. I am Forrest's dad. No, I don't mind. It just amazes me that everyone knows my son and loves him.

I drove to Twin Rivers. There was a woman sunbather at the pool. I was not going to go in there. They never stay around long enough to see that I am just there to swim and could not look at them if I wanted to. My face points to the bottom of the pool. But generally, they react badly to my arrival. I have seen them throw things, snatch things, and beat it out of there like school kids at the final bell.

So I parked at the little pool, but alas the door was locked. Remember, I have been running to the pool, swimming, and running home? Even though I have been swimming the big pool, I put the key to the little pool in my Fuelbelt so I would have it if, like now, I needed it. 

When I got back home, instead of getting my key, I got into the bed. The cats were happy about that. I stayed there, in bed, until Penny came home from the grocery store.

We went out to eat. I still wanted to be in bed. I almost dozed off at the table. Thank you, Jesus, for bed. "He giveth His beloved rest" (Psalm 127:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment