Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Weather and Dreams

 Of all the things people love to complain about, the weather is at the top of the list for most. I have done my share of it also. It is too hot, too cold, too rainy, too dry. 

Last September was one for the ages. I watch the weather pretty close. I have always either hunted or run or both so the temperature and precipitation are big issues with how I can enjoy my avocation. Normally September is a hot month, but it is not the killing hot of July and August. The month might start with temps in the 90s, but they quickly fall into the upper 80s. Believe me, when you are running outdoors, the upper 80s are a world away from 90anything.

Last September was the hottest month of all 2019, at least it was in the Greenwood, Mississippi are. The official high, not the heat index but the actual high, was 99 or 100 every single day of the month. Every. Single. Day. Not only that, but the heat wave lasted until October the 6th. It rained for the first time in about forty days on the 7th of October and from then on the weather was typical.

This year. Thank you, Jesus. 

The month started with highs in the 90s, and after a week or so they dropped into the 80s. And then BOOM, they are cool and running is fun and life is good. This is the way it is supposed to be or at least the way it usually is. I am now so looking forward to long Friday runs. This week, I will be sleeping late trying to get fresh for Chicot Saturday. But after that, my plans are for running adventures every Friday the weather will permit. If the weather does not permit, I will do some kind of crazy workout at Plate City.

Already I have done a couple of Friday forays. I parked at New Hope Church on Humphrey Highway and ran some of the hills and over to Mount Olive Baptist Church and back. I went to Carrollton, parked at Dollar General, and did a long run on Highway 17. My plan for next week is to run from the Hideout to Junior Barrentine's. I don't even know how far that is.

Recently, I took a composition notebook and wrote down all my dream runs for the upcoming winter. I filled one page and started another. Soon I want to go to Little Mountain near Mathiston and run up and down it several times. I want to make the big loops from Greenwood. I want to go to the Big Black River on Highway 407 and run up and down that monster hill that climbs out of the bottom and back into the hills. And I have a list of many many more.

If God continues to give me health, I should have a lot of fun the fall and winter and enter the spring in really good shape. Will we have the spring races? I sure hope so. Just yesterday I found out that Vardeman has been cancelled. That race and festival quickly became my favorite. Now the topsy turvy nature of 2020 has claimed another victim. 

Praise God anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment