Monday, November 23, 2020

Eating at Church

Of all the things that COVID changed, this one hurt the most. We have not had an eating at Centerville Baptist Church since Christmas 2019. That is until today, November 22, 2020. Our people rose up and asked for it. I had no problem with that. I thanked the Lord above.

When the shutdown hit, a storm came through and toppled a huge, beautiful oak tree in the church's front yard. The tree must have been 150 years old. I knew it was on the decline, but hoped it would continue to live. It's felling was oddly symbolic of the interruption that COVID has brought to our world, our way of life, our customs and habits. 

The dessert table. About half the ladies
with their wares had not arrived yet.

I still miss that tree and every time I drive up I look longingly at the front yard and remanence about the huge moss covered limbs that stood sentinel over our little church for the past century. Despite its loss, the surrounding woods are gorgeous displaying the glory of God. The colors are busting out into a chorus of synchronized praise: yellow of various shades, red, and orange

On the drive to church, Penny and I see birds, squirrels, sheep, sometimes deer, and occasionally a racoon or other small wild animal. A couple of times we have even spotted an alligator in a ditch we cross in the delta. The journey is an edifying experience that never grows old. While we driven I quote in my mind Psalm 122:1 -- I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord.

We had our Thanksgiving service. I preached about thanksgiving, being thankful for God, family, and country. After the service, we feasted on chicken, turkey, ham, and vegetables too numerous to list. A whole table of desserts tempted us all. I, however, never made it to the table of sweets. Five pieces of fried chicken and a pound and a half of Frances Barrentine's fruit salad left me able to chew but unable to swallow.

It's about to go down.

While we ate, Junior Barrentine quipped, "See what we've been missing?" I didn't need convincing. It's a wonderful thing when the family of God sits down in peace and love and feed and fellowship. Everyone was so relaxed and we enjoyed being in each other's presence. Before the feeding started, Jason Campbell passed out some index cards with scripture written on each. The numbered cards were then read by the congregation. Each verse was about thanksgiving.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Our tiny congregation grew a little. Jason joined the church. He has been a huge blessing to me. He soaks up the Word while I preach. That gives me courage, which is the root of the work encouragement. To encourage is to put courage in.

It was a good day, the Lord's day on the 22nd of November. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment