Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Weekend Plans

I told you that I have been dreaming, scheming, and plotting of fun and adventures. This Friday I have arbitrarily set as the date of one of my challenges. I was rethinking this when on Facebook Memories, a picture of my son and me popped up. We were coming back from Batesville where we ran a ten mile race. I could do that this Saturday. But the more I thought about it the more I determined to stick to my original plans.

For one thing, if I forego the Batesville run, I will save the entry fee and save the drive to Batesville and back. That is both money and time. Furthermore, I don't need anymore T-shirts. So it is set. Friday I do one of my physical challenges.

What's that? you ask. I plan to max out my squat, run and mile for time, and run and 10K all in one day. No, this idea is not original with me. I was poking around on YouTube and found someone who did that. Actually, he did the squat, the mile, and then ran a marathon. Since I am not that fit at the moment, I am cutting the last event off at 6.2 miles.

Why do something like this? One reason is for fun. I can, however, hear myself thinking now. Do it, they said. It will be fun, they said. Why am I doing this? I know those thought will go through my brain. They always do when I attempt something difficult. But I also know that after it is over, I will be glad I did it, and will only remember the good stuff, the good emotions, the flittering scraps of success. That always comes after the pain passes.

Another reason to do it is for the workout value. Having never done anything like this before, I don't know how my body will respond. But it has to be a good workout. Furthermore, it will establish a benchmark, some numbers to compare myself to in the future. I can repeat this and hopefully get better somewhere down the road. 

So, I will do a write up and let you know how it goes. For the 10K, I don't plan to push the pace at all, just shuffle through it. But I do hope to set a PR on the squat and run a lousy mile. If I break ten minutes on the mile, I will be happy. I don't know how much the squatting will affect that, so I might be disappointed. 

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment