Thursday, November 26, 2020

PSA on Hacking

Please don't cause me to break my computer. I'm begging you, please. What I am referring to is my growing aggravation with people saying, "I've been hacked. Don't accept a friend request from me."

Let's start with a definition. A hack is when someone gets into your account. When they do this usually, they post something bad on your wall or they change the password and lock you out of your own account. That is a hack.

No one can get into your account and send your friends another friend request. Tell me how that is possible. Tell my why someone would do this. I'll wait.

That is what I thought. If you ponder it all morning, all evening, all week you cannot come up with a reason for someone to break into your account and send your friends another friend request even if that were possible, and it's not possible.

When you get a friend request from someone you are already friends with, one of three things is happening. One, the person can't get into their account and started another one. Two, the person has opened a second account so if they go to Facebook jail, they can still post. Or three, some lowlife has created a clone account.

A clone account is when someone copies your profile picture, opens a new account in your name, and starts sending out friend requests to your friends. They are banking on you accepting the request because you know the person. I have accepted a few because I had forgotten I was already friends with that person so I know the endgame. 

The endgame is right after accepting the friend request, you get a message in Messenger that begins, "How are you" I wrote it how I usually get it: no question mark, no punctuation of any kind. If you answer they chit chat a little and you can tell that English is not even their first language. Then ask if you have heard the good news about the _____ grant (proper noun not capitalized. I told one that he was not educated enough to be a crook). The name of the grant keeps changing.

They want you to text someone, a district manager, so you can get your money. Free money. I don't know what happens next but it can't be good. I have lived long enough to know that if someone offers me anything free, I place my hand firmly on my wallet and run swiftly away. Ain't nothing free and I don't mean anything.

So if you get a friend request from you friend, check with them and see if it is legit. In one out of a couple hundred it is. If not, then report the account to Facebook. They will investigate and remove the account. 

Please stop saying, "I've been hacked." It makes my cats nervous when I yell at the computer screen. Oh, and one more thing. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment