Wednesday, November 4, 2020

I Won

I did. My first one is several years. My last? I hope not, but . . . .

I'm talking about the MDCC Greenwood Center 5K. I used to win them every year. Or twice per year. We have one in the fall and one in the spring. I would win the one on the main campus also. But, I am not as fast as I was and on campus we now have the LETA folks (Law Enforcement Training Academy). They are young and fit and they all smoked me last year. The Moorhead campus 5K is today, but I will not be able to participate because of a dental appointment. I need to see the tooth dentist because I have some teeth issues.

Back to the Greenwood 5K. I just got over COVID and was happy to be able just to run it. My goal was to finish the thing, that's all. The participation was way down. Katie Jones, our counselor who has been drubbing me the past few years, decided to walk. With her was Mary Payton Rogers and Anita Horn. I ran unopposed. 

But that is not fair, you protest. Tell that to a person who runs in an election unopposed. If they get votes, they win. Yes, I would have liked to have had some competition. But I could not have beaten anybody. I used to have some people running against me and it always felt good to win. But at my age and at my current fitness level, like a politician running unopposed, I will gladly take the victory. I shuffled not 3.1, but 3.2 miles since I made the course up as I went. That is my longest run since I came down with the illness.

Later that afternoon, I was supposed to meet John at the pool. Remember that he was early Monday. He was twenty-one minutes late Tuesday. At my current fitness level, he does not have time to be late. I only swam twenty-eight minutes. I did 1,500 yards straight at a 1:54 per 100 pace. Better than Monday. 

Yes, I went to Plate City for workout number three. What do you think about that? Randy Beets. To warm up, I did some reverse flys. Then on the one-armed bent row, I pulled

15 X 40

10 X 55

  8 X 60

  6 X 65

  4 X 70

Also, I did two sets of Lenny rows, some facepulls, and some stretching to go along with the tibi dorsi work. It was a solid day. I am on the road back. After all of that, it was time for cats and election results. I stayed up way too long and did not know who won when I went to bed. I never turn the TV on before noon, but I had it on before 6:00 a.m. this morning. We still do not know who won. 

God bless America, and may America bless God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment