Sunday, November 8, 2020

PSA

Have you ever noticed that once your gas hand hits the half tank, it's like the bottom half of the tank disappears almost like you have a hole in the bottom? Years ago, I had someone tell me that it's not an equal half. I never forgot that. This morning, however, I had the opportunity to put that idea to the test.

I knew when I arose to go to church that we had to get gas before leaving town. Since I was dressed before Penny, I went to buy fuel on my own and save us some time. When I got to the station, the gas gage was on empty and the warning light was on. 

While I pumped, I opened the driver's side door and turned the key on. It took five gallons to move the needle to half a tank. I kept my eye on it and was curious to see how many gallons it took to go from one half to full. What do you think? I took

   a. five gallons

   b. four gallons

   c. ten gallons

   d. eight gallons

If you answered c, you win the prize. Put your address in the comments below, and I will send you your gift. After the needle was on full, the tank held two more gallons.

Imagine that, from a full tank to a half tank, is twelve gallons. From a half tank to empty with the warning light on is five gallons. Why? I can only guess. I suppose it is to make motorists think they are getting really good fuel mileage by going a bunch of miles on a half tank.

Now you know. 

I hope this information sticks in your head. It could save your life if you are driving across a desert. If you make it 200 miles on the top half of your tank, don't think you can drive 200 miles across that uninhabited desert on the so called bottomless half. It ain't happening.

Pass this information along. You could save a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment